Archives: Historical Information from 2013
For newer 2017 information, see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ.
LightBoost strobe backlights started arriving in gaming computer monitors, as a revolutionary new method of LCD motion blur elimination beginning in 2013.
LightBoost eliminate LCD motion blur during 2D video gaming, even though this feature was originally designed for 3D Vision. Many models of 120 Hz computer monitors now include a strobe backlight mode that completely bypass LCD pixel response limitations (high speed video). Better motion clarity can provide a competitive advantage during online FPS gaming. For more information, see LightBoost HOWTO.
- TFTCentral – Motion Blur Reduction Backlights
They found that LightBoost outperforms past scanning backlights.
- PCMonitors.info – Factors Affecting PC Monitor Responsiveness
They describe factors affecting monitor response, including LightBoost.
- TechNGaming – Eliminate Motion Blur While Gaming With NVIDIA LightBoost!
This article confirms LightBoost’s motion blur elimination looks like CRT motion.
- NewEgg.com – YouTube Interview with ASUS regarding VG248QE monitor
ASUS representative mentions the LightBoost motion blur elimination!
- Team Exile 5 – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti and NVIDIA LightBoost
Professional competition gamers, who like the LightBoost effect.
- 3D Vision Blog
Taking Advantage of the Lightboost Technology for 2D 120Hz Gaming
More About Using the 3D Lightboost Technology in 2D and 3D Mode
- Ars Technica – Ars Technica System Guide: Gaming Boxes
Page 3 has several mentions about LightBoost motion blur elimination.
- AnandTech – Review of BENQ XL2720T 120Hz Monitor
Page 7 mentions LightBoost motion clarity observations.
International Media Coverage
Media coverage about LightBoost motion clarity, written in another language than English.
- (Germany) PC Games Hardware – Nvidia Lightboost Strobe Hack
German gaming magazine, discussing LightBoost motion blur elimination.
- (Norway) Harware.no –
Guide: 2D Lightboost
Test: BENQ XL2720T
Norwegian hardware portal, tested LightBoost 2D motion clarity
- (Russia) Overclockers.ru
CRT Style: Review and testing of ASUS VG248QE
CRT Style 2: Review and testing of BENQ XL2411T
BIG LightBoost: Review and testing of BENQ XL2720T
Russian hardware portal, tested LightBoost 2D motion clarity on several displays.
Other Related Coverage About Strobe Backlights
While not specific to LightBoost strobe backlights, these are major people in the game industry who have discussed about strobe flashing as a method of reducing motion blur.
- id Software’s John Carmack discussed persistence and strobe backlights at QuakeCon:
YouTube: John Carmack QuakeCon Keynote (Jumps to relevant part of video)
- Valve Software’s Michael Abrash discussed persistence and strobe backlights for VR:
Michael Abrash’s Blog: Down The VR Rabbit Hole, Fixing Judder
“In further testing, we were able to induce a similar effect in the real world via a strobe light.”
User Reviews and Testimonials
See LightBoost Testimonials for additional user reviews from end users.